Your physical and emotional wellbeing is important, especially during these tough times. If you need a helping hand, there are plenty of organisations offering a range of support services including:
- Beyond Blue - 1300 22 4636
- Beyondblue Coronavirus Mental Wellbeing Support Service - 1800 512 348
- Lifeline - 13 11 14
- Kids Helpline - 1800 55 1800
- MensLine Australia - 1300 78 99 78
- Open Arms - 1800 011 046
- Suicide Call Back Service - 1300 659 467
- If you are experiencing Domestic Violence we urge you to call 1800 RESPECT - 1800 737 732.
- eheadspace - Provides free online and telephone support and counselling to young people 12-25 and their families and friends.
- Head to Health pop up services
If it is an emergency and there is an immediate risk of harm, please call 000.
These organisations can also assist in more specific ways:
- Department of Social Services
- My Gov
- Services Australia
- Department of Communities and Justice
- Meals on Wheels
- Link Housing
- Relationships Australia
- Catholic Care
- Carer Gateway
- Dementia Australia
- Living Connected is offering online support to help the elderly stay connected and be digitally included during self-isolation.
- Jobs Hub
- Sydney Water Assistance
- My Aged Care
- National Disability Information Services (IDEAS)
- Senior Rights Service
- NSW Ageing and Disability Commission
- Financial Counsellors Association of NSW
- The Energy & Water Ombudsman NSW: Contact by phone 1800 246 545, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
For those having difficulty paying gas and electricity bills, please see here. If they are concerned about disconnection of supply for non-payment, please see here. Saving on energy when staying at home more often, please see here. And don’t forget that the NSW Government Appliance Replacement Offer is still running, please see here.
Payment Assistance Scheme (PAS) Credits. Contact 13 20 92 or visit one of the approved community agencies in the Shellharbour LGA:
- Albion Park Rail Neighbourhood Centre ph: 4256 4404
- Albion Park Youth and Community Care ph: 4257 3342
- BaptistCare, Warilla North Community Centre ph: 4298 7200
- St Vincent de Paul Society Family Assistance Hotline 1800 606 724
- Shellharbour City Baptist Church ph: 4296 8091
- The Salvation Army Assessment Centre ph: 1300 371 288
- Warilla Neighbourhood Centre ph: 4296 3433
- Financial Counsellors Association 1300 914 408
- Flourish Australia 1300 779 270
- Wesley Mission 1300 371 288
Here is a list of providers that can help with free or low cost meals:
St Vinnies Community Hub, Coniston
- Open 9am to 4pm, Monday to Friday (2-16 Miller St, Coniston)
- Providing support for people experiencing homelessness or at risk of experiencing homelessness - food packs and take away frozen meals, showers, and clothes washing.
- Call 4228 8140
- Contact foodbank on 9756 3099 and they can connect you with a charity in your area.
- Ask Izzy is a free and annonymous website where you can search over 360,000 services to find housing, meals, healthcare, counselling, legal advice, and a whole lot more. For food relief charities in your area, search using your postcode or suburb name: https://askizzy.org.au/food/personalise
Assist Shellharbour/Shellharbour City Baptist Church
- Free food hampers for families financially impacted by COVID-19.
- Available Mondays 9am –12 noon, pick up from 10A Commerce Drive, Lake Illawarra.
- PH: 2497 3667
Anglicare Community Pantry, Oak Flats
Oak Flats Anglican Church: 35 Fisher St Oak Flats ph: 42566464
Shellharbour City Anglican Church: 25 Wallaroo Dr Shellharbour City ph: 42977419
- Anglicare’s Mobile Community Pantry and Mobile Community Pantry Fresh Food vans provide grocery or fresh food items at very low cost to help stretch your budget further. The Mobile Community Pantry is run in partnership with local churches and visits each location on a fortnightly basis.
- Community members are welcome at each site. You can make a small contribution and fill a bag with items of your choice from the stock available. $10 for groceries (EFTPOS available) and/or $2 for fresh food (bring along your Pension, Health Care or Immigration Card).
- Find more information HERE.
Emergency Food hampers can also be provided. Check out website for locations and availability.
St Vincent de Paul Food Van
- Attends Albion Park Rail Community Centre on Thursdays (5.30pm - 5.45pm)
Woolworths - 8am to 8pm (Opening hours may differ from store to store)
- Click and Collect and Online Services have resumed
- Woolworths Basics Box available for Priority Assistance Customers
- Community Pick Up locations – pick up groceries for someone (check store details).
- Priority Assistance Deliveries: eligible customers include seniors, people with a disability and those with compromised immunity or who are required to self-isolate. Supporting documentation must be provided. Requests will be reviewed and request for priority status confirmed within 48 hours. Visit - www.woolworths.com.au/shop/discover/priorityassistance.
Coles - 8am to 8pm (Opening hours may differ store to store)
- Click and Collect and Online Services have resumed
- Community Box available for Priority Online Service customers – delivered by Australia Post
- Carers, family and neighbours of Priority Online Service customers can now pick up orders
- Online Delivery Priority Service: The focus will be on food and grocery essentials to elderly and vulnerable members of the community, including retirement and nursing homes. https://shop.coles.com.au/a/national/content/priority-service-information
During this incredibly difficult time, we encourage all Shellharbour residents to spread kindness.
You can make a huge difference by:
• Staying at home, only go out for essential items.
• Check-in on relatives over the phone and make sure they have everything they need.
• Dropping essential supplies, like food or medications, to those at home. You can leave them at the door.
• Call or video call your family, friends and neighbours - see how they are and if they need support.
Maintaining social connection and offering to help others will go a long way in supporting your friends, loved ones and fellow community members through this pandemic.
Other ways you can help include:
- Donate Blood - www.donateblood.com.au
- Fill out some Viral Kindess Cards (below) to leave in your neighbours letterbox.
- Volunteer - check in with local support organisations to see if they need an extra hands or how you can help.
Please head to our dedicated Business Support page.
Local neighbourhood centres can support those in need with support & services including:
- Telstra Vouchers
- Energy Accounts Payment Assistance
- Female hygiene products
- Food hampers
- Information & referral for other services
For more information please get in touch with
- Albion Park Rail Neighbourhood Centre on 4256 4404
- Albion Park Youth & Community Centre on 4257 3342
- Warilla Neighbourhood Centre on 4296 3433
- Illawarra Shoalhaven Safe Haven - a welcoming and supportive place open to anyone who is distressed by suicidal thoughts, feelings, or actions. Located at 55 Urunga Pde, Wollongong. Open Wed to Sat, 2-10pm. Still operating during lockdown.
- Shelter Group Wollongong – peer support group that meets via zoom fortnightly on Thursdays 6 - 7:30pm
- Illawarra Shoalhaven SPOT (Suicide Prevention Outreach Team) - outreach service for people in Nowra & surrounds. Access by calling NSW Mental health line 1800 011 511.
Support for suicide loss
There are a number of resources available to support older people during coronavirus and lockdown:
- Beyond Blue - Supporting older people during the coronavirus
- Australia Health - Coronavirus advice for older people and carers
- My Aged Care - Information for older Australians on Coronavirus
- Ageing Disability Commission - Tips to help vulnerable older people and people with disability during Coronavirus