Shellharbour City Youth Council
The Youth Council’s objectives are:
- The Youth Council is a leadership and civic program for young people 12-24 years old
- The Youth Council will involve young people in local government decision making to build a resilient youth population and provide opportunities for young people to reach their full potential.
- Council and the Youth Council will support young people to deliver the goals from the Shellharbour Youth Plan (page 3)
- The Youth Council is seen as a valuable and important partner in the delivery of the Shellharbour Youth Plan, and as such the Youth Council is referenced against specific actions within the Action Plan. These will form the basis of standing items on the agenda at Youth Council meetings.
- Membership is open to Shellharbour residents aged 12-24. Each High School has an allocation for two representatives and there are 5 community representative positions available.
The Youth Council will comprise of up to 21 members aged between 12 to 24 years at the date of nomination, with members being appointed for one year.
Meetings are held quarterly (minimum) outside of school hours at the Shellharbour Civic Centre.
If you want to find out more information, check out the TERMS OF REFERENCE or email our Team Leader - Children's and Youth Services.
Applications are now open to join the Shellharbour City Youth Council for 2022! We invite all young people aged 12 to 24 that live in the Shellharbour Local Government Area to submit an Expression of Interest.
All applications will be collected and reviewed by Council staff and followed up with the applicants and their schools.
Membership runs for one year and provides an exciting opportunity to develop new skills, learn more about the local community and represent young people on decisions that impact them.
There are two types of members:
- Community representatives
- School representatives