Our work experience program provides students with an opportunity to gain on-the-job experience. The program assists students to develop specific work skills and to become familiar with a workplace and the expectations of employers. We are dedicated to providing meaningful industry experience to students in a variety of areas across Council.
To be eligible for our work experience program you must be a secondary or tertiary student seeking relevant unpaid experience. Students need to be covered for public liability insurance by a recognised school, tertiary institution or referral agency.
Preference will be given to students living in the local government area.
Work experience placements are available throughout the year, with the number and timing of placements dependent on whether the work area can provide an effective on-the-job experience.
Frequently asked questions
What we require prior to placement
- Completed online application form
- Sponsorship by studying institution
- A copy of the Studying Institutions Public Liability Insurance
- All supporting documentation e.g. White Card, Working with Children check etc.
- Parent/caregiver approval form attached to the application if the student is under 18 years of age.
- If the student is in high school, we require the Department of Education work placement form completed by the student, school and Shellharbour City Council prior to placement.
What we expect from students
- Be punctual
- Present yourself in a neat and tidy manner at all times
- Turn your mobile phone off or have it on silent during work hours
- Show interest in learning about Council and its operations
- Participate effectively in all activities during your placement
- Listen and follow instructions
- Wear required safety equipment as directed by your supervisor
- Abide by all safety instructions and relevant signage
- Utilise Council property for its intended purpose and report any damage immediately
- Communicate openly and honestly with Council employees
- Treat others fairly and with respect
- Conduct yourself according to Council’s Values (Collaboration, Accountability, Integrity, Respect and Sustainability)
- Notify your supervisor of any special needs or requirements you may have
- Organise, or bring with you your lunch each day
What you can expect from us
- A safe place to undertake your work experience placement
- Supportive and knowledgeable supervisors to assist you to learn
- Supervisors who lead by example, providing clear guidance and direction
- Diverse learning experience
- Exposure to Local Government and a wide range of industries in one location
- Insight into future career paths that you may wish to pursue
- Practical skills and experience to complement current or support future studies
- Feedback on your placement
- Completion of learning institution placement documentation
Student responsibilities before placement commences
Contact your placement supervisor for information on:
- What to wear
- Where to meet
- Start and finish times of your placement
Arrange any placement documentation needing to be completed at the end of your placement.
How do I apply?
To apply for work experience please complete an online application form.