For Tree emergencies, please contact:


For all trees affected by power wires on public land contact Endeavour Energy.

I just bought a new property - how long before I can apply to prune or remove trees?

You can apply to prune or remove trees as soon as settlement occurs. You may need to give us proof of ownership, like a copy of the advice sent to the Lands Title Office, as our records don’t get updated immediately.

How do I apply to prune or remove a tree on a strata property?

Talk to your strata manager or Body Corporate before starting an application. Their written approval and stamp or seal will need to be attached to the application. 

Some strata managers may offer to handle the application on behalf of the owners or residents. 

Note that full fees apply for strata applications, even if one of the applicants would individually be entitled to a reduced rate (for example, a pensioner). That’s because the strata body itself isn’t eligible for rebates. 

The application will also need to include a clear map of the property or complex and the location of the tree so we can inspect it. 

After you lodge a tree application, we will inspect the trees listed. Please tag these trees so we can easily identify them. Use tape, ribbon, string, or a similar non-permanent material that won't hurt the tree. 

My tree is dead or dying - do I still need permission to remove it?

The same rules apply to both living and dead trees. 

Check the Trees and your property page for details about which trees do and don’t need a permit. 

Who can prune or remove a tree after a permit has been issued?

One of the conditions of approval is that pruning works are carried out by a qualified arborist in line with the Australian Standard for pruning of trees.

What do I do if I don't understand my permit's pruning conditions?

Your arborist will understand the terms of the permit and explain it to you.

How long does a tree permit last?

A permit is valid for two years from the date shown on the permit. 

How long does it take for my application to be processed?

Applications are usually processed within 30 working days from when we receive payment. Sometimes it can take a bit longer if we need more information. 

You can call 4221 6111 or send us an email at to check the status of your application. 

I'm not happy with Council's decision about my application. What can I do?

If you are not satisfied with Council's decision , a request for a review of the determination can be addressed in writing within 6 months from the date of the original request.

Please read more about it here.

How can I tell if someone has permission to prune or remove a tree?

Call us on 4221 6111 or send us an email at with the property address and details of what trees are being pruned or removed. Make sure you include information about the dates and times that the work on the tree or trees happened. 

We can check whether a tree permit or development consent has been issued. 

Please note that we do not have records of clearing done under NSW 10/50 Vegetation Clearing Scheme. 

How can I get more light, better views or sun for my solar panels?

Wanting a better view, more light or access to solar panels is not generally accepted as a reason to remove or prune a tree. Sometimes minor pruning can be approved to let more light through. Approval will only be given if the pruning can be done in line with the Australian Standard for pruning of trees. 

You will have to go through the normal application process to confirm this.

Download the Vegetation Removal Application form.

I have a tree on private property I wish to prune or remove

Please read about Trees on your property.

Looking to purchase a tree?

Our nursery has a huge range of fruiting, native and potted trees available. Visit our nursery page to find out more.

Bees/ Wasps

If you notice a swarm of bees or a wasp nest in a public area contact customer service and our inspectors will arrange for their safe removal. Please note Council will only relocate the swarm/nest if they are an immediate risk for the public.  

Council will not act if insects are only feeding or carrying out normal behaviour. 

Allergies from trees

If you consider that a street tree may be the cause of your allergy symptoms, you will be required to provide evidence that this tree is the cause.

We will only consider the removal of a Council street tree for allergies on the following criteria:

  • The claim must be verified by a medical certificate from a registered clinical immunologist/allergist or clinic such as the Allergy, Immuno and Infectious Diseases Clinic at Westmead or the Asthma Foundation that the tree in question is responsible for the allergic reaction. Medical certificates from general practitioners will not be accepted as a valid claim for tree removal.
  • Where that species of tree causing the allergy is listed as exempt on Council's exempt tree species list. Approval will not be granted, even with a verified medical certificate, where this tree forms the dominant tree variety in the streetscape because the removal of the single tree will not alleviate the cause of the allergy to that individual.

Where a tree is removed for allergy reasons, the replacement tree will be a suitable native species.

Last updated : Wed 8 Nov 2023