Residents in some areas close to the bush can prepare for bush fires by clearing trees from around their home under the NSW Rural Fire Service 10/50 Vegetation Clearing Scheme. 

If your property is in a 10/50 vegetation clearing entitlement area, you may be able to clear trees close to your house without Council's approval. Make sure you read the guidelines carefully first; you could be fined for illegally clearing trees. 

It is the property owner's responsibility to make sure they follow the 10/50 Code of Practice

You should also note that you can’t remove a tree under these guidelines if a development consent specifically says it needs to be retained. 

For details, and to find out if your property is in a 10/50 area, visit the NSW Rural Fire Service website.

Last updated : Wed 8 Nov 2023