Lost Dogs

If you have found a lost dog, please call Council on (02) 4221 6111 to arrange collection.

  • If outside business hour and it’s an option for you, keep the animal in your care overnight, then call Council the next day. 

  • If you are unable to keep the animal, as it is displaying aggressive behaviour, call Council (02) 4221 6111. 

If you have lost a dog, please call Council on (02) 4221 6111 to see if your dog has been found and collected. Our City Regulation Team want to see pets safe and cared for, and will do their best to return your lost dog home.  

  • You can also visit Council's Lost Dog Registry to see if your dog has been listed. 
  • If possible, we also recommend checking local social media groups that share lost and found pets.  

Deceased Animal

Council will only collect deceased animals from public land and not private property.

Report a deceased animal on Council land here.

Dog Attack

A dog attack is defined under the Companion Animals Act 1998 as follows: If a dog rushes at, attacks, bites, harasses or chases any person or animal (other than vermin), whether or not any injury is caused to the person or animal.

Please submit this form to Council as soon as possible after the attack.

Nuisance Animal

Mediation is advised in the first instance to resolve issues with a dog that makes a noise, by barking or otherwise, that commonly occurs or continues to unreasonably interfere with the peace, comfort or convenience of any person in any other premises.

If those efforts fail, this form can be lodged with Council with at least ten consecutive days recorded in the Barking Dog Diary. Council requires detailed evidence to commence an investigation.

Feral/Native Animal

If you have found a sick, injured or orphaned native animal please contact WIRES on 1300 094 737. Managing pest animals is difficult, and is not something Council does. Please visit NSW Government Local Land Services or call 1300 795 299 to report your issues. For any deceased native animals, please contact Council on 4221 6111 or complete the Deceased Animal Request.

Animal Welfare Concerns

If you suspect a dog or cat is being mistreated, visit RSPCA or call 1300 278 358 or contact your local police station. 

Last updated : Mon 27 Nov 2023